I spent one of today's hours playing Bmaj7 arpeggios all over the neck with a jazz swing vamp on my computer. I do this a few times every week, isolating one or two chords in a progression to lurn 'um real good.
I usually practice over a bebop-style swing vamp, and I play mostly swing eighth notes and eighth triplets with occasional straight eighths or sixteenths. Today I noticed something kind of cool when I fell into a quintuplet feel. Five notes over four swing eighth notes doesn't seem like it should sound better than awful, but for some reason, it worked really well and felt completely natural. Tomorrow, I shall explore further!
- warm-up: left finger isolation, trills w/ all fingers all over neck, 1 hr
- SRV: more review, learned outro to Lenny, I should get on a new song tomorrow, maybe Dirty Pool, 1 hr
- sight reading: key of E major, 6 positions, 1 hr
- ear training, 1 hr
- Bmaj7 arpeggios everywhere on neck, 1 3 5 7 and 3 5 7 9 (Dm7), 1 hr
- fingers felt really good, so I jammed on more SRV, 1 hr
- watched a bunch of Eric Johnson's instructional video, The Fine Art of Electric Guitar, 1 hr